Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Finland: Fammo Svea! Friday Sept. 21

This is my grandmother Svea. She is 93 years old and lives in her own apartment in Jakobstad. Kai met her for the first time last week. Now they're old friends, he even gives her hugs and kisses too!


I probably inherited my love of coffee from Fammo. She worked at her family's cafe in Kållby for years, before she married my Faffa Heimer. Faffa passed away in 1988. He worked as a "byggmästare" which is something like a building architect. Faffa was a lot of fun, I remember him twiddling his thumbs while he watched TV in his rocking chair. He also used to color in the loops of letters in the newspaper and then it was my job to hunt for them and circle them. Good times!

1 comment:

Annika said...

I had spelled the town of Kållby with just one "l". That tiny misspelling changes the name to mean "cabbage town." YIKES! It's fixed now though...thanks Faster!