Thursday, October 4, 2007

Finland: Leaving Jtown, Helsinki or bust: Fri. Oct 5


As the winter rains are starting to settle in, Harriet, Kai and packed up to head south for the winter to Faster Barbro's apartment in Helsinki. This is the last leg of our 3-week trip (*sniff*).
I picked up my new Finnish passport yesterday afternoon from the Police Station in Jakobstad. It took 7 days to get (that's without a rush) and cost 46 Euros. Of course, getting passport photos from the photo studio in town cost 13 Euros - and the photo looks just as crappy as $2.00 ones from a photo booth!

This morning we visited Fammo and had dreamcake (drömtårta) and pepparkakor from Sjöberg's bakery in Jakobstad. Good stuff! Fammo gave us each a package to take home. Yummers!

Next time we'll be back is for her 95th birthday party in 2009. And Kai will be 4 years old!

What was really cute was that Kai is completely unaware that Fammo is 93. In this picture, he is eclipsing Fammo after climbing all over her. He tried to jump on her, get her to give him a horsey ride and yanked on her arms pretending he was falling. She survived! Meanwhile, I was a little worried and I asked if he was bothering her but she said no. I guess once you're a great grandmother you've learned how to play with kids and not throw out your back. I, however, am still learning that lesson.

We caught the intercity train leaving Jakobstad at 15.30. Kai and I played in the second story kids playground in one of the wagons. What a great idea to put one of those in. I even went down the slide too.

Faster came and met us at the Helsinki train station and we took a taxi back to her apartment on in the Dromsö neighborhood. Tomorrow I'm off to Åbo (Turku) to relive my youth (I lived there for 4 years while working on my master's degree in geology).

No comments: